[nordlab] info for interview

Federico.FERRETTI at ec.europa.eu Federico.FERRETTI at ec.europa.eu
Mo Apr 3 09:37:46 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I am a researcher within the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission and my studies focus on issues of scientific quality in relation to the phenomena of “DIY science”, “citizen science”, “makers movement” and the like, as to unveil the characteristics of these non-conventional systems of knowledge production (makerspaces, fablabs, virtual and real communities often aimed to address local problems).
The overall argument gravitates around the idea that scientific valid outcomes are being produced even outside the academia and R&D centers.
At the moment I am considering some study cases for an ethnographic study aimed at understanding internal applied practices to assess the relevance and quality of community projects like yours. For that reason, I thought to contact you and ask if you are available for a short Skype interview (approx. 20 min) in which I would ask very informal questions on your own experiences along the activities of the makerspace.
Sure enough, the interviews will be used anonymously and just for research activities, without any direct reference to names and persons.
Nonetheless, we are setting up a makerspace ourselves inside a big institution like ours, and we can even perhaps discuss possibilities for collaboration, visits and future events.

Do not hesitate to contact me for further details and in case you are interested, indicate your availability in the near future.

Thank you for your time

Federico Ferretti
Joint Research Centre of the European Commission
Science and technology Studies (STS)